Some cool best bathroom design images:
1961 Holiday House Geographic Vintage Travel Trailer Restored by Flyte Camp
Image by RS 1990
The Holiday House Geographic, is among the most desirable vintage travel trailers in the world. One of only two currently known to be in existence, the body of this trailer was designed by world renowned industrial engineer, Chuck Pelly, designer of the Scarab race car and founder of Designworks USA, which is BMW’s California Studio.
David Holmes, President of "Harry & David" fruit company, began producing the Holiday House travel trailers in November of 1959, in Medford, Oregon. These were aluminum and wood constructed trailers as many of their counterparts of this era, however, the Holiday House trailers stood out as distinctive due to their highly progressive and futuristic design.
In 1958 David Holmes enlisted Chuck Pelly to design the Geographic model, also known as Model X, as a super limited production model, which he dubbed the "Trailer For The Rich". The styling was unlike any trailer of it’s time. There are thought to have only been parts of 7 of these strikingly futuristic fiberglass trailers ever made with a price tag of almost ,500. The Holiday House factory burned down in 1962, and the molds that survived were discarded years later.
This 1961 Holiday House Geographic has been completely restored from the frame up with no expense spared, by Flyte Camp, in Bend, OR.
This trailer would make a wonderful addition to any collection, and is fully equipped as a modern luxury travel trailer.
The Holiday House Geographic Serial Number 007:
The exterior was tastefully re-finished with Axalta finishing systems and coatings, in a two-toned champagne and moss green with bronze colored pin-stripping. The entire running system was upgraded with new axels, brakes, wheels, and 10-ply Diamond Back white wall trailer tires. The exterior is completed with a vintage style fabric awning.
The interior features Black Walnut wall skin, cabinetry and black walnut hard wood flooring with custom aluminum detailing. The bathroom/dressing room features Marmoleum flooring, Walnut & Marmoleum countertops and a Stainless Steel shower with a Teak hardwood shower floor insert. Through out the coach original vintage light sconces are combined with LED lighting. Warm LED strip lighting accents the cabinetry, with lighting in cabinet, under cabinet and along the floor in the living area. The kitchen is outfitted with a stainless two burner cook top, a two drawer stainless 3-way fridge, and a stainless sink with a built-in drain board. Stainless kitchen countertops, and luxury upholstery fabric, in moss, accented with high end custom pleated and lined drapery complete the interior finishes. Behind the scenes an LP on-demand hot water heater provides a steady flow of limitless hot water. Off grid the water holding system is made up of a 35 gallon fresh water tank, a 35 gallon black water tank and 40 gallon grey water holding. The 2000 watt Go Power! inverter system is powered by 4 Trojan 6-volt AGM batteries, and is solar capable. There are both 110 outlets, and 12 volt ports throughout the trailer. The A/V system includes a 32” TV, surround sound and a DVD/Bluetooth stereo system. The Air-conditioning system has a heat pump and is tastefully concealed under the front couch. The front L shaped sofa, is 30” deep with pillows removed and can comfortably sleep two. The gaucho couch also extends to sleep two. There is ample storage, with full extension drawers. Aluminum trim and detailing has been added to the bottom of the cabinetry. No detail has been overlooked including the stainless steel front door threshold which has been laser etched with "Geographic".
The icing on the cake was having Chuck Pelly attended the Palm Springs Modernism event in February of this year to see the completed Geographic, and he added his personal signature to the trailer both inside and out!
This may be the only opportunity to own this priceless piece of history. Please contact Flyte Camp with any questions, and for additional detail photos if desired. We accept payment by Cashiers Check if the check is drawn off of an Institution with a Branch in Bend, Oregon. Otherwise, we accept wire transfer. Please let us know if you have any questions regarding payment, or to schedule pickup. Buyer is responsible for all shipping arrangements. Trailer should be picked up within 30 days of auction end. Contact us if you are an international buyer.
This trailer will be featured on the official 2018 Hot August Nights poster. Hot August Nights is the largest collectable car show in the US, being held August 7-12th, 2018 in Reno, NV.
The Geo was featured on the cover of the June 2018 edition of Vintage Camper Trailers Magazine. The Geographic took the trophy for Best of Modernism at the 2018 Palm Springs Modernism Vintage Travel Trailer Show, and Best Mobile Mansion at the Pismo Coast Rally in May of 2018. The trailer has also been filmed for an upcoming episode of Extreme RVs on the Travel Channel. Please check out footage of the build on the Flyte Camp YouTube Channel.
Photos curtesy of Hal Thomas Photography, Tim Cash of Far From Earth Films, and Anna Scribner of Flyte Camp, LLC.
Credit: Flyte Camp
Beaumaris Gaol – Bunkers Hill, Beaumaris – door with 1829 above
Image by ell brown
A look at the exterior walls and entrance of Beaumaris Gaol. Unfortunately, by the time we got here, it was after closing time, and we never got around to going back to Beaumaris to visit this former gaol. We got here at 5pm which is closing time!
Beaumaris Gaol is a disused jail located in Beaumaris, Anglesey, Wales. Although no longer in use it remains largely unaltered and is now a museum open to visitors, with around 30,000 visiting each year.
The jail was designed by Hansom and Welch, and was built in 1829. It was expanded in 1867 to accommodate approximately 30 inmates but was closed just 11 years later. The building then became a police station until the 1950s when it became, oddly, a children’s clinic and lastly a museum in 1974. During the Second World War the town’s air raid siren was located in the gaol and was kept in operation during the Cold War in case of nuclear attacks. The gaol’s chapel is not original to the building, and the pews and pulpit were sourced from a chapel being renovated elsewhere on the island. It is possible to tell that the pews are not the original ones as the numbering sequence is out of order and they are not fixed to the floor.
The prison regime may appear brutal to a modern visitor, but in its day it was seen as humane improvement on earlier gaols. Even so, methods of keeping criminals in check included chains, whippings and isolation in a dark cell for up to three days. It has one of the last working treadmills in Britain. The treadmill at Beaumaris is unusual in that it pumped water to the top of the building for use in the cells, meaning that the prisoners were not forced to work for no reason.
Grade I Listed Building
A Gaol and House of Correction built in 1829 by Joseph Hansom & Edward Welch, architects of York, one of 3 major commissions in Beaumaris, the others being the Bulkeley Hotel and Victoria Terrace. The gaol replaced an earlier gaol rendered inadequate by the Prisons Act of 1823, and on the sea front occupying a desirable site for redevelopment. The gaol is shown T-shaped on the 1829 town plan. The punishment wing, incorporating the treadwheel, was therefore a slightly later addition to the original design. In its original form the gaol was said to have 23 ‘wards’, 6 day rooms and 6 airing yards. The gaol was enlarged again in 1867 (date on rainwater heads) and is shown in its present form on the 1889 Ordnance Survey. Two public executions took place on the gallows in the perimeter wall. The prison closed in 1878, when inmates were transferred to Caernarfon. Thereafter it became a police station. It became a museum in 1975.
A 2-storey gaol, with main E-W range incorporating the N entrance to Bunkers Hill, and S wing extended to the perimeter wall in 1867, and a lower wing on the E side, giving an F-shaped plan. The elevations are mainly of coursed rubble-stone walls with freestone dressings and monolithic surrounds, with hipped graded-slate roof on wide eaves, and with freestone stacks. The severe 3-bay entrance, between the splayed abutting walls of the outer perimeter, is of coursed, rock-faced limestone. It has a central tripartite doorway of minimal classical distinction, and with ‘1829’ incised into the entablature. It has recessed small-pane flanking windows and segmental-headed central studded door. Windows are 16-pane hornless sashes.
Further L, behind the perimeter wall and opening to one of several prison yards, is a 7-window elevation, in which the upper storey has iron-barred cell windows with recessed small-pane casements. In the lower storey, at the R end, is a studded door with small-pane sash window to the R and blocked window to the L, opening to a small kitchen yard. On the L side is a courtyard wall comprising a freestone coped dwarf wall and tall vertical slate slabs, and incorporating a freestone doorway surround. To the L of the kitchen yard is a studded door with barred window to the R and 2 barred windows to the L. Iron railings, with gate, are built between the end of the wall and the perimeter wall.
In the E end wall is a panelled door with flanking lights and overlight. Above is a studded door, which led by means of a temporary walkway to the gallows in the perimeter wall, and small-pane overlight.
At the SE end of the main range is a single-storey punishment wing under a roof of small slates, which faces W toward one of the main exercise yards. It is open-fronted on 2 cast iron posts. At the N end are 6 stalls to a wooden treadwheel, which pumped water to the prison well, which is reached through a boarded door on the R. Further R is another boarded door, to a whipping room. At the R end is a monopitched ty bach with wooden seat, under an original roof of large slates, and wall continuing to the perimeter wall, closing off the yard but incorporating a doorway.
The S wall of the main range, on the E side of the S wing, has 7 upper-storey cell windows, of which the 4th and 5th are set lower and have 2-light casements, with a single-light and barred window further R. In the lower storey is a small-pane sash window to the L and a studded door flanked by 2-light small-pane casements. A splayed angle with the S wing has a pair of 16-pane hornless sashes in the lower storey (lighting the chapel), a 2-light window upper L and 12-pane hornless sash window upper R.
The S wing is 4-window in its original form, with wider 2-window extension. In the original portion is a doorway to the R with barred overlight, and three 2-light windows, of which the outer are barred. In the upper storey are 4 barred cell windows, except the centre-R which is blind. The S wing is surmounted by a tall rectangular water tower with projecting cap on a deep moulded corbel table. Either side of the water tower are small-pane dormer windows lighting the central lobby of the main range. The extension to the S wing has 2-light windows in the lower storey and shorter but similar barred windows in the upper storey. A lantern has 4 similar windows.
Returning to the main range, on the R (W) side of the main entrance, facing a yard on the N side, is a 7-window elevation similar to the E side, except that there are 3 doorways instead of 2, and iron railings across the yard to the perimeter wall. At the end of the wall is an added lean-to ty bach, and another gate with iron railings. The W end wall has a triple barred window in the lower storey, a barred window above, both lighting the corridors, and smaller cell windows R and L. The S elevation has 7 cell windows in the upper storey, of which the 2 at the L end are blocked, and in the lower storey a studded door L of centre, and to its R 2 barred windows and 2-light window at the R end. Across the entire front are 6 stone-walled bays used for breaking up rocks, into which a monopitched projection has been inserted at the L end.
The splay in the angle with the S wing has two 24-pane sash windows in the lower storey and similar but shorter 16-pane and 12-pane sash windows above. The S wing has 4 upper-storey cell windows, of which the centre-L is blocked, and, in the lower storey, a doorway with overlight to the L and 3 barred windows. The R-hand window has a vertical joint beneath its L jamb, suggesting that it was originally a doorway. The extension of the S wing has 2 barred windows in each storey, shorter to the upper storey, and lantern with 4 similar barred windows.
The prison is planned with central corridors giving access to the rooms and cells. The ground floor was devoted to daytime activities and the upper storey houses the cells. The E side of the main range accommodated the women prisoners. From the central entrance lobby the corridors have iron railings and gates. Doors are mainly thick studded doors with heavy bolts, some reinforced with metal plates. In the lower storey, the E side of the main range has rooms including, on the N side, a kitchen and women’s workroom. On the S side is a punishment cell, a room later adapted as a kitchen for the police station, and a chapel. The chapel has pews with shaped ends, and a panelled pulpit incorporating a reading desk. On W side rooms included a men’s workroom and 2 slightly better cells, used for those sentenced to correction rather than hard labour, one of which was converted after 1878 to a drunk’s cell. In the S wing the doorways have ovolo-moulded surrounds to cells, that included reception cells for new prisoners. At the end of the S wing the extension of 1867 has a cast iron stair to a cast-iron balcony on scrolled brackets, with balustrade. Stone stairs are in the main range. A straight stairs with winders at the base is on the E side and, at the end of the W side, is a straight stair with winders at the top and bottom, both with iron balustrades. In addition are closed-string stone stairs from the men’s and women’s workrooms.
The upper storey is laid with slate flagstones. The governor’s office is at the centre of the main range. It has half-glazed doors and small-pane fixed lights to the R and L, allowing a view down each of the corridors. On the W side are cells and a small infirmary. On the E side are the women’s cells, and a condemned cell, nursery, and a cell adapted as a police station bathroom. From the central lobby is a panel door set high above the entrance to the S wing, giving access to the water tower. To its L are wooden steps, set high, beneath the dormer window.
Reasons for Listing
Listed grade I as an especially well-preserved early C19 gaol of striking architectural character. It is of national importance for its well-preserved interior and for retaining the only surviving treadwheel at a prison in Wales or England.
door with 1829 above